AFTER ORLANDO...theatre action
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
NEIL LABUTE, WINTER MILLER, ANDERS LUSTGARTEN, MIA CHUNG, DEBORAH ASIIMWE, CARIDAD SVICH and many more confirmed for AFTER OLANDO: an International Theatre Action in response to the Pulse Night Club Shooting
NEW YORK— Missing Bolts Productions (Blair Baker & Zac Kline, artistic directors) and NoPassport Theatre Alliance and Press (OBIE-winner Caridad Svich, founder) are curating a collection of new plays from noted international playwrights in response the shooting at Pulse Nightclub, June 12, 2016. The plays are being presented across the US and abroad with collaborating venues in Los Angeles, Denver, Philadelphia, Detroit, and more.
Four special benefit readings directed by Wendy Goldberg are being presented at DR2 in New York City November 13, 20, December 4 and 11, 2016. All proceeds go to Pulse of Orlando Fund for victims and survivors of the shooting. Tickets for the DR2 readings at http://www.ticketmaster.com/After-Orlando-tickets/artist/2303814?tm_link...
Contributing artists include: Neil Labute (Reasons to be Pretty, Broadway); Anders Lustgarten (Lampedusa, Soho Theatre, London); Mia Chung (You for Me for You, Royal Court Theatre); Deborah Zoe Laufer (Informed Consent, Primary Stages); Caridad Svich (The House of Spirits, Denver Center); Rohina Malik (Unveiled, Victory Gardens Theatre); Oliver Mayer (Blade to the Heat, Public Theater); Winter Miller (In Darfur, Public Theater); Ken Urban (The Correspondent, Rattlestick Theatre); EM Lewis (Heads, Blank Theatre); Amina Henry (Animals, JACK); Migdalia Cruz (Miriam’s Flowers, Latino Chicago Theatre Company); Matthew Paul Olmos (2015 National Latino Playwriting Award), Saviana Stanescu (Aliens with Extraordinary Skills, Women’s Project Theater); Chiori Miyagawa (American Dreaming, Vineyard Theatre); Zac Kline (Messed Up Here Tonight, Renovations Theatre Company); Sung Rno (Cleveland Raining; Silk Road Rising Theatre); Stephen Sewell (The Gates of Egypt, Belvoir St. Theatre) and Anne Rumberger (Writer and publicist, Verso Books); Deborah Asiimwe (Cooking Oil, CalArts); Lisa Schlesinger (Celestial Bodies, Gets Theatre Chicago); Jessica Litwak (My Heart is in the East, La Mama ETC); Crystal Skillman (King Kirby, The Brick); Katie Pearl (Milton with PearlDamour); Jeremy O. Harris (Xander Xyst, Dragon: 1, Samuel French OOB Festival) Eric Mayer-Garcia (Louisiana State University); Ian Rowlands (Blink, national tour Wales and 59E59); Jacqueline E. Lawton (The Hamtpon Years, Virgina Stage Company) with more artists to be announced.
Kline and Baker note: “As theatremakers, we have the ability to bring together many singular unique voices toward a common goal. We feel it is necessary to give artists a place to respond to the tragedy in Orlando and the current state of the world. We have invited some of the most admired theatre artists worldwide to participate; to share our grief, our anger, our hope and our desire to combat the violence we are now living with on a daily basis.” Svich remarks: “Making some healing art, some fiery art, some work that just says we can rise up from and through collective mourning.”
Missing Bolts Production is an independent production group devoted to new works for theatre and film. They present big stories in little moments—plays and films that are heartbreakingly human; that reject artifice and show humanity and its smallest and fullest. Their work closely examines characters searching for the missing pieces in their lives and strives to show real people who are on the journey from lost to found, believing that the most fascinating aspects of life and art are the moments in-between the moments. Past work includes sold-out productions in the Philadelphia Fringe Festival, Figment Festival on Governors Island, and the award-winning short film Pauline. Co-artistic director Blair Baker understudies two principal roles in the Tony-Award winning play The Humans by Stephen Karam.
NoPassport Theatre Alliance and Press was founded by OBIE-Winning playwright Caridad Svich in 2003. It is an unincorporated, artist-driven, grass-roots theatre alliance & press devoted to expressions of aesthetic & cultural difference through performance, theory, action, advocacy, and publication.
NoPassport exists as a virtual and live forum for the exchange of work and dreams, a network between theatres and the academy, and a mobile band of playwrights, directors, actors, producers and musicians. The mentoring of younger artists is also a key component of NoPassport’s mission.
Past events include conferences at The Gallatin School, NYU, Arizona State University-Tempe and international reading schemes for the plays The Way of the Water and Spark and Upon the Fragile Shore, each read at over fifty theatres and Universities, including The Lark Play Development Center and New Dramatists.
In American Theatre: http://www.americantheatre.org/2016/10/18/after-orlando-playwrights-step-into-the-breach/
The Dreaming: on making art in the aftermath of tragedy
by Caridad Svich
2016 keynote address for the After Pulse: PlayFest at Orlando Shakes before evening of readings from the AFTER ORLANDO theatre action curated by Missing Bolts Productions and NoPassport theatre alliance livestreamed on Orlando Shakes' Facebook page on Nov 5 2016
For more information, please visit:
NoPassport Theatre Alliance and Press is fiscally sponsored by Fractured Atlas
AFTER ORLANDO INTERNATIONAL THEATRE ACTION MASTER CALENDAR
September 12, Hostos Community College (Bronx, NY)
September 22, Pomona College (Pomona, CA)
September 22, University of Southern Illinois (Carbondale, IL)
September 30, Tufts University (Medford, MA)
- October 5, Carnegie Melon University (Pittsburgh, PA)
- October 8, Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre with LGBTQ Center (NYC)
- October 9, University of Texas, Dallas (Dallas, TX)
- October 10, Round House Theatre and Olney Theatre Center (Bethesda, MD)
- October 13, Ensemble Studio Theatre-LA (Los Angeles)
- October 13, Webster University (St. Louis)
- October 17, Kangagirl Productions — Special Benefit Performance at Orlando Shakespeare Theater (Orlando, FLA)
- October 17, East West Players (Los Angeles)
- October 21, NYU/ Gallatin Theatre Troupe (NY, NY)
- October 22, Playwright Horizons Theatre School (NY, NY)
- October 22-24, Theatre Offensive (Boston, MA)
- October 24, Kenan Theatre Company, Department of Dramatic Art, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC)
- October 28, Taproot Ensemble (Charlotte, NC)
- October 30, Carthage College (Kenosha, WI)
- October 31, Finborough Theatre – Special Marathon Reading (London, UK)
- November 1, Brown University Theatre Arts & Performance Studies Program, Rites and Reason Theatre and Wilbury Group (Providence, RI)
- November 2 & 3, Eugenio de Hostos Community College (Bronx, NY)
- November 3, Chaskis Theatre at Theatre Royal Stratford East (London, UK)
- November 5, Orlando Shakespeare Theater: PlayFest: After Pulse (Orlando, FLA)
- November 6, California State University, Long Beach (Long Beach, CA)
- November 7, San Diego Repertory Theatre with Old Globe Theatre, Moxie Theatre, Diversionary Theatre (San Diego, CA)
-November 7, Miami New Drama with FIU, Lost Girls Theatre, Mad Cat Theatre, Mangrove Creative Collective, Miami Theatre Center, O Miami, The Project and Villain Theater
- November 8, 2016 Boom Arts at Artists Repertory Theatre (Portland, OR)
- November 9 & 10, Teatrotaller@Cornell University and Civic Ensemble (Ithaca, NY)
- November 10 or 11, Peru State University (Peru, NE)
-November 12, William Inge Center for the Arts 9Independence, Kansas)
-November 13, Daryl Roth Productions at DR2 benefit reading for Pulse of Orlando (NY. NY)
- November 14, That Uppity Theatre Company (St. Louis, MO)
-November 14, UNC-Chapel Hill with Kenan Theatre Company and UNC Campus Y (Chapel Hill, NC)
-November 14, Benchmark Theatre (Denver, CO)
-November 15, Iris Sowlat and Pride Arts Center (Chicago, IL)
-November 15, Theatre at Boston Court (Pasadena. CA)
-November 17, University of Nebraska-Omaha, Modern Aesthetic Seminar, Department of Theatre *reading of TOWN HALL by Caridad Svich along with AFTER ORLANDO texts by Katie Pearl, Jordan Tannahill and Caridad Svich
- November 18, Skidmore College JKB Theater (Saratoga Springs, NY)
- November 19, Tricklock Theatre (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
-November 20, Daryl Roth Productions at DR2 benefit reading for Pulse of Orlando (NY, NY). Tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/After-Orlando-tickets/artist/2303814?tm_link...
- November 21, Forward Flux Productions with Cornish College (Seattle, WA)
- November 21, Philadelphia Theatre Company & University of the Arts (Philadelphia, PA)
- November 28, Playmakers Repertory Company (Chapel Hill, NC)
- December 1, A Host of People (Detroit, MI)
-December 1, Peru State College with P.R.I.D.E. and Black Student Union (Peru, Nebraska)
-December 2nd, Brandeis University (Waltham, MA)
-December 2, UNC-Charlotte Department of Theatre (Charlotte, NC)
-December 4, Daryl Roth Productions at DR2 benefit reading for Pulse of Orlando (NY, NY) Tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/After-Orlando-tickets/artist/2303814?tm_link...
-December 4 & 5, Whim Productions, (Kansas City, Missouri)
- December 5, Central Square Theater (Cambridge, MA)
- December 5, The Road Theatre (Los Angeles)
-December 5, Sacred Fools Theatre (Los Angeles, CA)
- December 11, Daryl Roth Productions at DR2 benefit reading for Pulse of Orlando (NY, NY) Tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/After-Orlando-tickets/artist/2303814?tm_link...
-December 11, SNAP, UNO and Great Plains Theatre Conference (Omaha, NE)
- December 12, Chaskis Theatre at Park Theatre (London, UK)
-December 12 & 13, Richmond Triangle Players (Richmond, Virginia)
University of Southern California, podcasts
University of California, Northridge (Northridge, CA)
Ithaca College (Ithaca, NY)
Hampshire College (Amherst, MA)